We are extremely proud to share with all of you some great news. A few months ago the Florida Department of Education published the Accountability Report for all public schools in Florida for the 2012-2013 school year. Archimedean Upper Conservatory ranked #1 among all public high schools in the state, receiving more points than any other school in Florida (1538 out of 1600).
Florida is one of the states that have established a comprehensive accountability system for its public schools. The grading system for Florida high schools is based on the following categories:
- Students' performance in Reading state examinations (FCAT)
- Students' performance in Mathematics state examinations (EOC)
- Students' performance in Writing state examinations (FCAT)
- Students' performance in Science state examinations (EOC)
- Learning gains of all students in Reading
- Learning gains of all students in Mathematics
- Learning gains of the lower 25% of students in Reading
- Learning gains of the lower 25% of studens in Mathematics
- Students' participation in advanced course examinations (APs & IBs)
- Students' performance in advanced course examinations (APs & IBs)
- Overall graduation rate
- Graduation rate of "at-risk" students
- Students' college readiness in Reading (SAT & ACT)
- Students' college readiness in Mathematics (SAT & ACT)
All the categories above are included in the calculation of a score (of maximum 1600 points) for each high school in Florida and subsequently each school is given a letter grade A through F. You can find more details about Florida' high school accountability system here. As one can see, this system takes into account a wide variety of factors, including students' performance in state high school exams, students' improvement from year to year, students' performance in college level exams, and students' preparation and readiness to enter college.
All of us at Archimedean Upper Conservatory are very proud not only because AUC received a letter grade A, as it has every year in the past, but also because it surpassed every other high school in Florida. This stellar performance is credited to all the students of AUC's Class of 2013, Class of 2014, Class of 2015, and Class of 2016, all the faculty and staff of the school, and all the parents and friends of Archimedean.
Besides being ranked #1 in Florida (FLDOE 2013), our school has recently received outstanding rankings at the national level, being ranked #19 in the U.S. (The Washington Post 2014), #54 in the U.S. (Newsweek 2013), and #100 in the U.S. (U.S. News 2014), a testament to the quality of education and learning our faculty and our students achieve.
The accountability report for the 2013-2014 school year is expected to be released by the Florida Department of Education either later this year or early in 2015.
Demetrios Demopoulos, Director